2011年5月17日 星期二

Reflection: Inheritance + The Curious Incident

This week, our class did some reading on The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night - time, and reviewed some of our quizzes. Reading the Curious Incident was a bit like reading Born on a Blue Day, however, the latter is written by an autistic savant. When I just started The Curious Incident, I thought that the main character, Christopher John Francis Boone, had a family with good relationships. But as I kept reading, I found out that Christopher knows nothing of the relationship between his father and mother. The sad thing is, Christopher seems to have a father who drinks, and a mother who had an intimate relationship with another man named Mr. Shears in the neighborhood. The best part I liked about the first quarter of the book is the way the main character speaks. Christopher speaks so logically and in such an autistic way that I cannot help marveling at the author's mastery of impersonation. Christopher's way of speaking is also humorous. He would list things in numerically (1., 2., 3.,...) or alphabetically (a.,b., c.,...). He calls the person he is most suspicious of by the name of prime suspect.

Regarding on the article on inheritance, I find Burt's way of distributing his wealth after 21 years after his grandchildren's death very unusual. But if he did not like his family back then, this method of distributing wealth is very effective. If I ever became wealthy, I would think about leaving all my money to my children. I would need to know their personalities first. If I know that they would not use the money wisely, and waste the fortune, what is the point of leaving too much money for them? I would not judge my children based on their gender or their age, but I would judge them on their character. I would not consider about leaving money to the generations after my grandchildren. I feel that it is my responsibility to provide wealth to my next generation, therefore, it would be my next generation's responsibility to maintain the wealth and provide it for their next generation, and so on. Although I think this way, it does not necessarily mean that all my money is given to my next generation. If I know that it is better to put the money somewhere else, rather than letting it go to waste, I will find a more effective method of distributing my wealth, like donating to charity. The amount of money that will go to charity would depend on my accumulation of wealth, and whether my children are dependable.

沒有留言:

張貼留言